PhD Students Contest (pdf copy)
About the Contest
The PhD Students Contest will be organized on Thursday, March 25, 2021. This international contest is co-sponsored by the IEEE Solid State Circuits (SSC), Tunisia Chapter; the Philadelphia University, Amman, Jordan; King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia; and the IEEE 18th International Multi-Conference on Systems, Signals and Devices (IEEE SSD’21). The contest will provide an opportunity for PhD students to showcase their original work related to electrical engineering and information technology and it aims to:
- Create a stimulating environment for PhD students to interact and discuss their ongoing research related to their PhD thesis with their peers and researchers from universities, research centers. and industry;
- Provide constructive feedback and guidance to PhD students regarding their research works;
- Develop a supportive community of researchers and potential collaborators;
- Help future PhD students to align their research interests and activities with the state-of-the-art research.
Details for participation, submissions, and presentations
The contest is open for PhD students who graduated in 2020 or are planned to defend their thesis during 2021. To participate in the contest, the student has to submit a 4 to 6-page manuscript describing his/her research work using the IEEE A4 template (https://www.ieee.org/conferences/publishing/templates.html).
In addition, a video presentation of 10 min, summarizing his/her work, should also be submitted.
Submissions should be addressed to: submissions.PhD.SC@gmail.com.
Guidelines concerning the video presentation will be provided soon at: https://ssd-conf.org/phd-student-contest/.
All submissions will be peer-reviewed by the Contest Scientific Committee using the following criteria (out of 100): A. Technical content (35); B. Originality (15); C. Project demo (20); D. Presentation (20); E. Video quality (10).
Based on the review results, the 10 best contributions will be short-listed. Respective students (first authors) will be notified by email and should attend, in person or virtual, the one-day contest to present and discuss their works.
The rating of the final presentation will include a bonus of 10% if the presenter has an accepted paper in the IEEE SSD’21.
Certificates and Awards (given to PhD students participants)
- A participation Certificate will be issued to each of the 10 contest participants,
- A one-day registration will be granted by the organization committee of IEEE SSD’21 (https://ssd-conf.org/) to each of 10 contest participants. Accommodation fees are not included in the offer.
- A membership of IEEE and SSCS to the three first winners will be offered by IEEE SSC Tunisia Chapter.
- Cash prizes will be awarded to:
– the 1st winner 800 USD will be offered by Philadelphia University, Amman, Jordan
– the 2nd winner 500 USD will be offered by King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals, KSA
– the 3rd winner 200 USD will be offered by IEEE SSC Tunisia Chapter
Submission deadline: March 7, 2021.
Notification: March 14, 2021.
If more information is needed, you can contact Prof. Kouzou Abdallah at: email@example.com.